Truckersworld Forums

Free Registration, "Its Good To Talk"
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: On the move....
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 pm 
Silver Member

Due to 'family' things, I am contemplating moving from my current location, (Northampton), to Stockport/Manchester.

Having also read the HGV Start Up thread with interest, I find myself between a rock and a hard place.

As much as I enjoy driving, especially for the company I drive for, I am fed up with the constant stream of crap from other road users, and the ever increasing legislation. I have therefore decided to get out of this industry and go back to IT. (see my intro post).

Obviously, I need to be in a position to attend interviews etc., but I also need to be earning when I move to Manchester, so therefore I will have to sign on with an agency or two.

So, my question is this, does anyone know of any good(?), agencies in the Manchester/Stockport area?

Many thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: On the move....
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:30 pm 
Gold Member

Best Connection were always good to me, Dont know if they have a Manchester/Stockport office as i was registered at Bolton, Although they did put me in Leggits at Bredbury once.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:46 am 
Silver Member

Further to the above.....

In June I bit the bullet and made my move, big mistake!

I left my 'reasonable' class 2 job which I had been quite happy in for 4 years and moved to Stockport to satisfy the 'family' commitments and search of my perfect IT job.

I signed up with Driverhire, mainly because they were just around the corner from me so it was easy to just pop in.

My first assignment came the very next day, and I was quite impressed! Unfortunately, over the next 3 months, I had a total of just 12 days work!

After the first month, I went along to Best Connection in Stockport. Filled in all the forms, completed a WTD test, a tacho test, a highway code test, and a geography test, since then......nowt, nothing, zip, ziltch, fek all!!

6 weeks ago, in response to an advert in the Job centre, 'Urgently seeking Class 2 drivers for ongoing contract with major fashion retailer - immediate start!', I went along to Drivers Direct in Runcorn. Filled in all the forms, completed a WTD test, a tacho test, a highway code test, and a geography test, since then......nowt, nothing, zip, ziltch, fek all!! (seems to be a pattern emerging here!)

Last week, again in response to a job centre advert offering immediate starts with Wincanton, I went along to Top Gear, in Manchester. Filled in all the forms, completed a WTD test, a tacho test, a highway code test, and a geography test, and....I think you can guess the next line!

How these people get away with advertising jobs which are clearly not there is beyond me?!?

The search for my ideal IT job is pretty much the same situation, I've sent out 134 CV's in the last 2 months alone and only had 1 interview - times is hard out there!

I'm now getting so desperate, I'm applying for security guard positions!

So, Christmas is cancelled in my house, and I've abandoned my search for the rest of the year, perhaps 2009 will bring better fortune.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

Be careful out there people.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Don't waste any more time attending agencies. They are all the same. THey all advertise jobs that aren't there and when you call them it's the same old lines...."you'll have to pop down to register first" but what they fail to mention is the fact that they have no work or the little that they do have will be going to the golden boys who have worked for them for 20 years and are on the lowest rate. All they want from you is your phone number so that if times suddenly improve then they have a long list of driver telephone numbers to call.
Rather than going to the agency, ask them if they have genuine work and they will be able to get you out the next day, this normally changes the tone of conversation to " well we can't guarantee anything, it's a bit quiet at the moment".
Tell them you will leave them your number and as soon as they get the work that they are advertising and they are in a position to offer it to you then they should call you and you will go down to register. Failing that...save yourself the ballache.

Never believe an agency even when they tell you that they are different and not like the other agencies.....it's all bullshit, they are all lying *as***ds and I remain to be proven wrong after 13 years of putting up with them. I totally agree with you questioning their ability to advertise vacancies that really do not exist. Try asking an agency why they do this and listen to the waffle, I do it regularly.

The simple fact is there is nothing about at the moment and there is little change of things improving for quite some time. The haulage industry is on its arse....big time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 am 
Silver Member

So..... 8 and a bit years later, still doing my IT thing.... but have a question..

I moved house recently and therefore had to change the address on my driving licence. When my new licence arrived, it had no Class C category. (Which I passed in 2004 I think.) Anyway, as I left the industry prior to CPC coming in, I guess this is why it has been removed. But, if I wanted to drive Class C again, as well as doing the CPC, would I also have to take my test again??

(apologies for resurrecting a very old thread!)